SIMPLIFIED THEORETICAL METHODS OF PREDICTING THE MOTIONS OF A CATAMARAN IN WAVES
Simplified methods are discussed for estimating (1) the pitch and heave of catamarans in head seas based on theory which has proved successful for conventional single hulled ships, and (2) the roll of catamarans in beam seas by representing the small amount of roll as alternate heaving of the two hulls. Both prediction methods neglect interaction effects between the two hulls. Computed values of pitch, heave, and roll are compared with experimental data from model tests of a catamaran in regular waves. Documentation of the computer program for predicting the roll of a catamaran in regular and irregular seas is also presented.
Naval Ship Research and Development CenterBethesda, MD USA 20034
- Wahab, R
- Hubble, E N
- Publication Date: 1972-1
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Catamarans; Hydrodynamics; Ship motion
- Old TRIS Terms: Seaway motions
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00034469
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSRDC-3736 R & D Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1972 12:00AM