BULK QUEUES WITH RANDOM BATCH SIZE: WITH APPLICATION TO RAILROAD MODELLING
With train length restricted and railcars entering the system randomly, the maximum block size which may be set on trains at intermediate yards is a random variable. The time a car waits for pickup can be modelled as a bulk service queue with random batch or block size. Frequency of block pickups depends on the number of trains per day and maximum block size depends on available space on the train after the local block has been set off. In this paper the queueing model (random bulk), when arrival time of cars is exponentially distributed and train arrival time is an Erland distribution of order K, is solved.
- This work was supported under CIGGT Project 5-10.
Canadian Institute of Guided Ground TransportQueen's University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
- Petersen, E R
- Publication Date: 1971-8
- TRT Terms: Freight service; Mathematical models; Quality of service; Reliability; Simulation; Yard operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies; Yard simulation models; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00141131
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian Institute of Guided Ground Transport
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 71-3
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM