TRAIN SCHEDULE AND NETWORK SIMULATOR
This computer model simulates train operations on lines and in yards. It can model trains on any type of line: single track, double track and track networks. It will process trains through small yards for those yard activities that affect trains only - not those that affect individual cars. On line, it applies predetermined average delays to trains at meets and overtakes wherever they occur along the track. In yards, each train goes through a series of activities such as waiting for a receiving track or an inspection crew or undergoing inspection or crew change. Results from this model can help examine alternative train operating plans or alternative line and yard facilities. It requires a small amount of easy-to-code input data: For example, simulating 50 originating trains over 1,000 miles of track requires about 200 data cards. The output comes out in the form of tables and graphs. Tables contain train statistics and facilities utilization. The graphical output is a time versus distance plot of train trips. There is a discrete line-printer and a continuous line (Versatec) version of this plot. Note: This model does not plan for the location of meets and passes. It uses average delays which may be derived from operating experience or analytical methods based on probability theory.
- Direct requests to Manager, Operational Research, Canadian National.
Canadian National Railways935 la Gauchetiere Street, West
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3N4, Canada
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Classification yards; Computer programs; Double track; Network analysis (Planning); Railroad facility operations; Scheduling; Simulation; Single track; Train operations; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Line capacity; Network flows
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies; Train meets; Train performance
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00131923
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian National Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM