FLOW RULES FOR EMPTY EQUIPMENT
Computer program used in the distribution of all general purpose freight cars on Southern. It is designed to minimize empty car days and empty car miles in transit. All XML type box car equipment is included in the system. Matrix distribution is used to distribute to many areas from large surplus supply points. Origin-Destination studies were used to determine the origin and termination of traffic by car type, and to determine surplus and deficit points to determine inbound or outbound flow of empty equipment. This data is then used as input to a Linear Programming Model that selects least cost alternatives for the distribution of empty equipment. The information is available through the Empty Car Inquiry System that is used to distribute empty equipment.
- Direct requests to J.R. Martin, AVP, Transportation Planning, Southern Railway Company.
Southern Railway System99 Spring Street, SW
Atlanta, GA United States 30303
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Box cars; Car distribution (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Computer programs; Empty cars (Railroads); Linear programming; Origin and destination; Utilization
- Old TRIS Terms: Empty car assignment
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00131878
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Southern Railway System
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM