OVER-THE-ROAD SIMULATION MODEL
The OTR model, a computer program, may be used to determine the effect on track capacity and on train operations resulting from changes in track configuration, speed restrictions, train schedules, or horsepower-per- trailing-ton characteristics. Some of the features included in the program are: (1) ability to simulate train operations in multiple track territory; (2) ability to originate or terminate trains at intermediate locations in the network being simulated; (3) ability to change train characteristics (length, priority, horsepower-per-trailing- ton, etc.) at intermediate work locations; (4) ability to operate 'turns'; and (5) ability to specify connections between trains and to have these connections considered in the resolution of conflicts. The simulation program schedules trains using horsepower-per-trailing-ton data from a train performance simulation program. The work a train must do and the connections which the train is to make are also considered in developing the initial schedule. Conflicts between trains are determined and the program selects the best of several possible resolutions based on delay time incurred, train priority, possible future conflicts, and the effect on scheduled train connections.
- See also RRIS 17 131887. Direct requests to Industrial Engineering Division, MoPac Railroad. A general description of program characteristics, required data preparation and reports generated is available upon request.
Missouri Pacific Railroad CompanyMissouri Pacific Building, 210 North 13th Street
St Louis, MO USA 63103
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Railroad facility operations; Scheduling; Tonnage ratings; Train makeup; Train operations
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Line capacity
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies; Train meets; Train performance
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00131774
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Missouri Pacific Railroad Company
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM