AN OPERATIONAL DEMONSTRATION OF TRAILING END VISIBILITY ENHANCEMENT DEVICES FOR COMMUTER RAILROAD TRAINS
This report describes the demonstration which compared under actual operating conditions various means of enhancing the visibility of commuter train ends. The visibility enhancement devices included in the demonstration were: 1) Xenon strobe lights; 2) Large and small red market lights; 3) Amber flashing beacons and 4) Various patterns of brightly colored paints and fluorescent/reflective tapes on car ends. Data concerning the visibility and other attributes of the above devices was collected by means of a series of questionnaires directed at groups of people considered to be significantly impacted by the devices. The groups surveyed were: 1) Train crew members; 2) Independent observers; 3) Residents along various rail rights-of-way; 4) Commuters and 5) Motorists. The survey results are discussed and the conclusions arrived at are used to make recomendations regarding which devices are most appropriate for inclusion in a regulation to govern the visibility enhancement of passnger train ends. In addition, performance specifications and guidelines for the use of these devices are given.
- This demonstration was conducted by the Illinois DOT with the support and cooperation of the Federal Railroad Administration and three Chicago area commuter railroads: Burlington Northern, Chicago & Northwestern, Illinois Central Gulf.
Chicago, IL USA 60610
- Englund, D B
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 129 p.
- TRT Terms: Collision avoidance systems; Color vision; Commuter cars; Navigation lights; Railroad grade crossings; Safety; Visibility; Warning signs; Warning systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Grade crossing safety; Light signals; Visual warning systems
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00141582
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Illinois Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-ORD-76-292 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1982 12:00AM