AN OPPORTUNITY FOR CHANGE
This response by the British Railways Board to the government's Transport Policy Consultation Document (RRIS 138339) stresses the Document's concentration upon short-term measures to cope with immediate economic conditions; its inadequate information base; and its choice of advisers with disregard of professional transport operators. The result, according to BRB, is distortions of several key issues. Among the BRB points: Changes in the transport network are long lead-time projects requiring high investment; planning requires long-term forecasts of transport demand; instead of defining a perfect policy several viable options with the maximum rate of change that is physically and financially practicable should be developed. The Consultation Document glosses over possible changes in terms of competition and productivity. BRB details passenger and freight service recommendations, ways to increase productivity and planned investment.
- A review of this paper is published in Modern Railways (Shepperton, U.K.), Vol. 23, No. 336 (Sept., 1975), pp. 337-340, and can be seen at the Department of Transportation Library.
British Railways Board222 Marylebone Road
London NW1 6JW, England
- Publication Date: 1976-7-27
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 87 p.
- TRT Terms: Financing; Freight transportation; Investments; Passenger transportation; Policy making; Subsidies; Transportation planning; Transportation policy
- Identifier Terms: British Rail
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: National transportation policies
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Passenger Transportation; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00141580
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1977 12:00AM