STUDY OF "F" COUPLERS CAST BEFORE MARCH 1970
Three hundred and thirty-five "F" couplers removed from service during heavy repair of TTX cars were examined and measured. Selected couplers cast before March of 1970 and which had cracks, were tested at 0ousF and room temperature to determine the strength of the butt in pull. Metallurgical analysis of the selected couplers were made. Conclusions relating miles of service to expected strength are published.
- A field survey report issued by the Railroad Coupler Safety Research and Test Project, a Railway Progress Institute and Association of American Railroads cooperative program. See Report No. 8 for metallurgical study of these same couplers, RRIS 03 141432.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Morella, N A
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Casting; Couplers; Design; Life cycle analysis; Low temperature; Mechanical failure; Metallurgy; Tension
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tensile stress
- Old TRIS Terms: Trailer train
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00141431
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads Research Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: N. 7 (AAR N. R241) Tech. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 3 1976 12:00AM