TRACK CIRCUIT CHARACTERISTICS ASSOCIATED WITH MOTION MONITORING
Motion monitoring devices have been developed to provide warning activation at grade crossings by signaling the actual approach of a train because conventional crossing protection systems are unable to differentiate between a stopped and moving train. The motion monitor detects the rate of change of track impedance to indicate train movement In the design, the frequency ballast, distance to train and terminating shunts and their effect on the motion sensing equipment must be considered. Problems can be encountered with broken rail protection.
- Presented to the Committee "D" Workshop, Association of American Railroads, Communications and Signal Section, at the 1975 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Westinghouse Air Brake CompanyWilmerding, PA USA
- Blazek, F V
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Detectors; Grade crossing protection systems; Safety; Signal devices; Track circuits; Warning systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Grade crossing protection
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00141428
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Bull. N. 310 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 3 1976 12:00AM