SAFETY IN URBAN MASS TRANSPORTATION: RESEARCH REPORT
This report describes the work and findings of a systemic study of safety in urban mass transportation. Its purpose was to provide data, information, and analyses as support for preparing a safety guidelines manual. The contract's scope includes this safety study and the preparation of the manual. The manual is a separate document from this report. The study covers three major topics: (1) an analysis of the current state of safety (2) determiniation of acceptable safety levels, and (3) development of The Safety Guidelines Manual. Safety performance in several modes of transportation are compared as a basis for assessing the safety situation. Methods of establishing acceptable safety levels and setting safety goals are analyzed. A safety program is formulated for the urban mass transportation establishment wherein system safety principles are applied in this industry's technical and institutional environment. Conclusions are drawn that serious safety management problems will confront the urban mass transportation industry as it moves into use of new, high-performance technology where traditional approaches to safety will not suffice. Also, less severe but real problems with occupant injuries and nonoccupant fatalities and injuries disturb the industry today and merit remedial action. Management and methodological approaches are recommended for meeting these safety problem areas. /Author/
- Sponsored by DOT and UMTA.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH USA 43201
- Cheaney, E S
- Hoess, Ja
- Thompson, R E
- Svehla, R L
- Publication Date: 1976-3-31
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 162 p.
- TRT Terms: Fatalities; Highway safety; Injuries; Management; Manuals; Mathematical analysis; Public transit; Safety; Strategic planning; Technology; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data analysis
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00141368
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-RI-06-0005-75-3Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00140-73-C-A394
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM