EXECUTIVE PRESENTATION: RECOMMENDATIONS ON BETTER CONTRACTING FOR UNDERGROUND CONSTRUCTION
This document which provides background information for presentations by the subcommittee before government agencies and others concerned with planning and developing projects for urban underground transportation, and which is based upon a 1974 report-Better Contraction for Underground Construction-defines the scope of the problem facing public contracting agencies and the construction industry, and what could be done to alleviate it. The unique problems encountered in underground construction are related to the risk involved and of how the responsibility for this risk should be divided. The cost of risk related to the unpredictables of underground construction and inflation are discussed, and the need for answers to certain questions regarding basic contracting practices is emphasized. The usefulness is noted of experiences of European countries which undertake considerable underground work and of the Federal government which has designed and constructed large and complicated underground facilities. The method by which European countries contract such work is reviewed. Recommendations are presented relating to sharing construction risks and financial risks, expediting claims, stimulating innovation in construction, assuring award to qualified contractors, and effecting cost savings.
National Academy of Sciences-Natl Research CouncilNational Committee on Tunneling Technology
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Photos; References;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Contracting; Costs; Hazards; Innovation; Insurance claims; Loss and damage claims; Recommendations; Risk assessment; Underground structures; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Sharing
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Construction; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00141253
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1981 12:00AM