LATERAL SUPPORT SYSTEMS AND UNDERPINNING. VOLUME 1: DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
This volume is a convenient reference on the design and construction of lateral support systems and underpining which are often required in conjunction with cut-and-cover or soft ground tunneling. The design recommendations and construction methods described herein are a summary of the more detailed information presented in the companion volumes of this study. Included in this volume are discussions of displacements, lateral earth pressure, ground water, passive resistance, stability analysis, bearing capacity, soldier piles, steel sheeting, diaphragm walls, bracing, tiebacks, underpinning, grouting, and freezing. An overview compares the relative costs of the construction methods used in lateral support systems and underpinning. Other reports developed from the study are FHWA-RD-75-129, Volume II, Design Fundamentals: FHWA-RD-75-130, Volume III, Construction Methods; and FHWA-RD-75-131, Concepts for Improved Lateral Support Systems.
- Record URL:
- Also available in set of 3 reports as PB-257209-SET; also See Volume II, RRIS 00 139701 and Volume III. RRIS 00 139713.
Goldberg-Zoino & Associates, Inc.30 Tower Road
Newton Upper Falls, MA United States 02164
- Goldberg, D T
- Jaworski, W E
- Gordon, M D
- Publication Date: 1976-4-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 327 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Construction; Construction management; Cut and cover tunneling; Design; Dislocation (Geology); Earth pressure; Groundwater; Lateral supports; Soft soils; Stability analysis; Structural supports; Subways; Tunneling
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Lateral pressure; Passive resistance; Underpinning
- Old TRIS Terms: Subway construction; Tunnel excavation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00141250
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75-128 Final Rpt., FCP 35 B
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8499
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1981 12:00AM