A RAILCAR NETWORK MODEL OF THE CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY SYSTEM
This report summarizes the steps which were taken to apply a generalized railroad model to the Canadian National Railway system. The model is designed to assist the railroad in medium and long range planning, by forecasting in a broad sense what the effects on the total system will be, given changes in either the demand for transportation services, or in the system operating procedures of the railroad. The railcar network model expresses the system wide car-flow characteristics in terms of the influence that congestion and other time delay factors impose on the basic origin-destination transportation requirements. This concept has been applied to the CN system, and data has been analyzed to ensure that the vital, under-laying relationships in the "real world" are adequately represented in the model. This validation study has had direct impact in two major areas; with respect to over-the-road times, a provision for meet and over-take delays between different categories of trains was introduced into the model, and secondly, provision for specification of the distribution of train inter-departure times from each yard along each track section was included. Some further theoretical work on this latter point remains to be completed.
- This work was supported by CIGGT Project 5.10.
Canadian Institute of Guided Ground TransportQueen's University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
- Taylor, A J
- Publication Date: 1972-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Freight transportation; Network analysis (Planning); Quality of service; Railroad facility operations; Simulation; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: Canadian National; Canadian National Railways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Line capacity
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00141134
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian Institute of Guided Ground Transport
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 72-2
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM