A RAIL CAR NETWORK MODEL OF THE CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY SYSTEM
A network flow model has been prepared which determines an optimal routing of railcars over the Canadian Pacific Rail System. A demonstration run of this model has been performed using a CDC 6600 computer. The network used in the demonstration has 26 yards and 41 connecting track segments. A table of demands for movement of loaded rail cars from each yard to each other was obtained historically. Component models describe the time delay due to (a) inspection and classification; (b) assembly and outbound inspection; (c) over-the-road transit, switching delays and station working time. Time effects of congestion enter chiefly through a classification queue, a train assembly bulk queue, and the meet and overtake delays due to the interaction between passenger trains, through freights and way freights on a single-track line. Detailed modelling of the network structure allows bypass operation with pickups and setoffs, and sharing of common single tracks by various types and routings of trains. Results show the flows in railcars per day that minimize total flow-time in car-minutes over the entire system. Also various items of travel time data within yards and over the road are provided.
- This work was supported under CIGGT Project 5.10.
Canadian Institute of Guided Ground TransportQueen's University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
- Fullerton, H V
- Publication Date: 1972-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Computer programs; Freight transportation; Network analysis (Planning); Quality of service; Railroad facility operations; Simulation; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: Canadian Pacific
- Uncontrolled Terms: Line capacity
- Old TRIS Terms: Cdc 6600; Operating strategies; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00141133
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian Institute of Guided Ground Transport
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM