AUTOMATIC CAR IDENTIFICATION (ACI): THE KEY TO BETTER CAR UTILIZATION
Railroads have invested heavily in new cars, modern terminals, large computer main frames, and sophisticated materials handling equipment. But car utilization/mileage has not improved significantly. The paper looks at railroads hauling coal and how they might gear up to handle the forecasted increases in volume. The proposed ACI system integrated into a node (regional) concept of car management, is presented as the logical solution. Economic justification is also presented.
- Technical paper presented at meeting of Society of Manufactaring Engineers in Cleveland, Ohio, September 23-25, 1975.
Society of Manufacturing Engineers20501 Ford Road
Dearborn, MI United States 48128
- Collins, D J
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic car identification; Benefit cost analysis; Car utilization (Railroads); Coal; Coal industry; Freight traffic; Management; Productivity
- Old TRIS Terms: Management methods
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00141104
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: MS75-647 Proc Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM