SNOW AND ICE CONTROL CONNDOT RESEARCH, OPERATIONS AND POLICY
The need for the use of deicing chemicals is discussed, research in snow and ice control is reviewed, research (local, national and international) on the ecological effects of the use of deicing chemicals is described, and Conn DOT policy for snow and ice control to minimize ecological damage is presented. Policies reflecting necessary background research, as well as programs initiated to improve needed storage and handling operations are also presented. ConnDOT research in snow and ice control involved studies using calcium chloride-salt mixtures, urea, and sodium chloride brine solutions. Research on ecological effects of deicing chemicals focussed on the potential injury to soils and vegetation. Winter maintenance policy for expressways and 2-lane roads are stated, and policies relating to storage, claims associated with damage due to salt are discussed.
Wethersfield, CT USA 06109
- Button, E F
- Kasinskas, M M
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Features: Appendices; References;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Calcium chloride; Cold weather; Deicers (Equipment); Environmental impacts; Expressways; Handling and storage; Handling characteristics; Insurance claims; Loss and damage; Loss and damage claims; Maintenance practices; Operations; Policy; Research; Seawater; Snow and ice control; Sodium chloride; Soils; Storage facilities; Two lane highways; Urea; Vegetation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Deicers; Handling
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Environment; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Policy; Research; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00141079
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM