PRELIMINARY STANDARDS, CLASSIFICATION, AND DESIGNATION OF LINES OF CLASS I RAILROADS IN THE UNITED STATES. VOLS. 1,2 AND ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS
This three-part report begins a series of studies mandated by Congress under various sections of the Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976 to determine the best means for rehabilitating and revitalizing the nation's railroads. It is produced in accordance with Section 503(b) and is intended to provide a means of classifying the lines of the Class I railroads of the U.S. to serve a number of purposes under the Act. The prime purpose is to categorize the lines according to reasonable measures of priority so that investments in track can be directed where they will do the most good. Standards used by DOT for priority include traffic density, service to major markets, levels of capacity and national defense. Volume I established a preliminary set of categories and designation for public review, and contains three appendices. Volume II has individual line designations by state and a national map. Additions and corrections are in a separate pamphlet.
- Submitted in accordance with section 503 of the Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976 (P.L. 94-210).
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-8-3
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Capital; Consolidations; Decision making; Freight transportation; Governments; Industry structure; Investments; Maintenance of way; Planning; Policy; Quality of service; Railroad facility operations; Traffic density; Travel patterns
- Identifier Terms: Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976
- Uncontrolled Terms: Line capacity; Traffic patterns
- Old TRIS Terms: Government planning; Government policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00139937
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Monthly Catalog of US Government Publications, GPO
- Report/Paper Numbers: TD 3.6:R 13/V.2
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 26 1977 12:00AM