VISUAL VALUES FOR THE HIGHWAY USER: AN ENGINEER'S WORKBOOK
This workbook which is designed to identify a set of objectives that include visual quality for the driver in highway development and the components of visual quality, attempts to relate objectives to the visual components for application in the highway planning and design process. The study also develops tools, techniques, guidelines and standards to implement aesthetics in highway planning and design. The material is presented in a format which parallels phases of work in general highway development practice. The guidelines are organized in a sequential manner with descriptive procedures and techniques, and their applicability is illustrated by means of a case study from location of a facility through its design. The guidelines are applicable for most highway types. The first section of the workbook outlines objectives for highway aesthetics and their tie with the highway development process. The second section illustrates their preliminary applicability by case study example.
- Sponsored by FHWA and DOT.
Harvard UniversityGraduate School of Design
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
- Hornbeck, P L
- Okerlund Jr, G A
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Aesthetics; Case studies; Guidelines; Highway design; Highway planning; Highways; Location; Manuals; Travelers; Vision
- Uncontrolled Terms: Highway location
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00139834
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: FH-11-6620, FH-11-7713, FH-11-7883
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM