SERVICE POLICY FOR SURFACE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
This Service Policy which is intended to guide the operation and improvement of all conventional bus, trackless trolley and surface streetcar services within the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), will eventually be integrated into a comprehensive policy covering surface transit, rapid transit and commuter rail operations as well as specialized transport services for special markets. The policy presented here covers MBTA services as well as private carrier and community based services. Prospective uses of the policy are listed, and the state and federal laws which provide the legal basis and impetus for this statement are summarized. Service goals and objectives are set forth, and the standards against which services will be evaluated are described. These standards relate to service design, operating performance, and economic/social/ environmental standards. Planning and evaluation procedures are described which are based on community involvement, and cost-effectiveness. Service warrants are described which are used to answer questions relating to discontinuation of operation, the assumption of responsibility for operation of a service that is currently being provided by a private enterprise, and the turning over of a MBTA service to private enterprise. Procedures are also presented for amendment of the policy statement which will keep it responsive to the environment.
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority50 High Street
Boston, MA USA 02110
- Publication Date: 1977-8-3
- Pagination: 64 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Cost effectiveness; Environmental impacts; Ground transportation; Laws; Performance; Planning; Private transportation; Public transit; Socioeconomic factors; Standards; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Trolleybuses; Urban transportation; Warrants (Traffic control devices)
- Old TRIS Terms: Comprehensive planning; Special service
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Highways; Law; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00139832
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1981 12:00AM