RAPID TEST METHODS OF BITUMINOUS MATERIALS
The primary objective of this study was two-fold: to verify for Louisiana asphalts the close agreement as found by others (Ref. 1-5) between the standard Thin Film Over Test (AASHTO T179-74) and the newly adopted Rolling Thin Film Over Test (AASHTO T240-734); and second, to seek a correlation between the standard ductility test (AASHTO T51-74) and a Micro-Ductility Test (Ref. 1 and Appendix). The oven comparison was made by testing numberous asphalts for such residual properties as viscosity, penetration, and ductility following exposure in both ovens. The data indicate that, except for very high viscosity residual asphalts, the tests are in very good agreement and could be used interchangeably. A correlation between the standard ductility test and the micro-ductility test is presented, which suggests that a reasonable relationship does exist. However, due to the nature of the resulting correlation, no unique micro-ductility value corresponding to a 100 plus ductility value (current Louisiana acceptance specification) can be chosen. Therefore, this test should not be substituted for the well accepted and nationally used standard ductility test.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/40M3154
- Conducted in cooperation with FHWA.
Louisiana Department of HighwaysP.O. Box 44245, Capitol Station
Baton Rouge, LA USA 70804
- Carey, D E
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Bituminous materials; Ductility tests; Oven tests; Soil penetration test; Test procedures; Thin films; Viscosity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Thin film oven test
- Old TRIS Terms: Ductility tests (Asphalts); Rolling thin film; Viscosity test
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00139823
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- ISBN: 40M3154
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-La 99 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: La HPR 72-1B(B)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM