ROAD TEST RESEARCH OF SKID RESISTANT BITUMINOUS SURFACES
In 1968, the West Virginia Department of Highways began preliminary deisgn work on twenty (20) bituminous mixes, which were to be used as thin, skid resistant overlays. The aggregates selected for this project were those commonly used in West Virginia, as well as other aggregates, which were being considered for possible use in bituminous paving mixes. In August, 1969, the F.H.W.A. approved the research project titled "Road Test Research of Skid Resistant Bituminous Surfaces". The purpose of the project was to "proof try" the laboratory design mixes. Construction began in September of 1970. During the four (4) year study, densities, texture (sterophotographs) road profiles, and visual observations were made yearly. Periodic skid tests were conducted. The skid numbers declined considerably during the first year; then became cyclical, i.e., high in the winter and spring and low in the fall. The skid resistance of the limestone paving mixes was found to be unsatisfactory. Of those mixes made with other commonly used aggregates, high skid resistance was usually accompanied by poor durability. Some of these mixes did not last the duration of the project. Exceptions were synopal and the metallurgical slag, which were found to be both skid resistant and durable.
- Prepared in cooperation with FHWA.
West Virginia Department of Highways1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV USA 25305
- O'Leary, J R
- Ward, R G
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 136 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Bituminous materials; Bituminous mixtures; Bituminous overlays; Durability; Research; Road tests; Skid resistance; Skidding; Surface treating
- Uncontrolled Terms: Skid number
- Old TRIS Terms: Bituminous surfacing
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00139821
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-WV-76-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: HPR-1(11)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 2000 12:00AM