EVALUATION OF SOLID WASTE MATERIALS FOR HIGHWAY USES
This report is meant as a "state of the art" on utilization of solid waste material for road construction and maintenance. There are may waste materials, but in Minnesota three products are of prime interest because they are available in such large quantities. These are: Taconite Tailings; Fly Ash; Boiler Slag. Much study has been done on some of these large volume materials. Some of the successful uses found for these products are embankment fill, subbase, base stabilizer soil or aggregate, paving aggregate, and bituminous mix components. This report undoubtedly is not the "last work" on the subject of solid waste utilization. Some materials or uses may have been overlooked or neglected, but it is hoped that the overall local state picture is well represented. This report has attempted to show that there are some large volume waste materials, there are bona fide uses for them, and utilization could be expanded with some effort. This also applies to (leasser) volume materials that sometimes aren't recognized as being usable.
Minnesota Department of Highways408 Highway Building
St Paul, MN United States 55155
Minnesota Local Road Research BoardState Highway Building
St Paul, MN United States 55101
- Wolters, R O
- Cassellins, R H
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Bituminous mixtures; Fly ash; Highway maintenance; Highway travel; Paving materials; Road construction; Solid wastes; State of the art studies; Subbase (Pavements)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Subbase; Taconite
- Old TRIS Terms: Paving mixtures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00139801
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: MN HW 5-180 75-4 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MHD Inv. No. 638
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM