THE MEASUREMENT OF PILE DRIVING FORCES AND ITS APPLICATION TO WAVE EQUATION ANALYSIS OF PILES
A new, dynamic peak force readout device was tested and found to be accurate, reliable, and easily used with a proposed new method of analysis of driven piles. Model pile, pile stub in a pendulum loading facility, and actual field pile driving tests are described. The data from the tests are presented for the new device and for a standard carrier amplified system which was also used during the tests. Comparison of the output data shows that the new device measures peak force values which are within 4% of the values obtained with the standard carried amplifier system. Tests conducted under various temperature conditions demonstrate the stability of the new device. The traditional wave equation technique of pile driving analysis is very briefly introduced and a proposed standard method of analysis using measured peak force is presented in a step-by-step manner. A sample problem is presented using the proposed standard method and data obtained from the new device field-evaluation tests. The sample problem is used to demonstrate the use of the new device in conjunction with the proposed method of analysis. Good agreement is indicated between the proposed standard method and the use of measured force in the pile with time when predicting total resistance at the time of driving. Studies of hammer simulation and parameter variations, and test results of a proposed aluminum force transducer are appended.
- Research preformed in cooperation with FHWA and DOT.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Kaiser Jr, F X
- Coyle, H M
- Milberger, L J
- Bartoskewitz, R E
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Measuring instruments; Pile driving; Strength of materials; Wave equations
- Old TRIS Terms: Peak strength; Pile bearing capacities; Wave equation formula
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00139786
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTI-2-5-195-1F Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 2-5-75-195
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 15 1976 12:00AM