GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR THE DESIGN OF POINTS AND CROSSINGS (UIC 54 AND UIC 60 RAIL PROFILES). FACTORS AFFECTING THE CONSTRUCTION OF SWITCHES
The present interim report - Document No. 2 - deals with the 3rd part of the Programme of Work "Conception of Switches". Based upon the three fundamental requirements of safety from derailment, steady riding of vehicles and economy in construction and maintenance, the interim report examines particularly the incidence of high speeds and heavy axles in the negotiation of switches. The calculations and the measurements taken to this end, are developed in two appendices where a study is made on bogie coaches for an analysis of accelerations in respect of comfort and on a V60 diesel shunting locomotive of the DB 25,000 series electric locomotive of the SNCF for an analysis of forces causing wear and fatigue. The reduction in basic components, the simplification of machining and increased life in service, with a choice of assemblies and materials which should ensure mainimum maintenance cost while retaining the maximum traffic availability, are sought in the choice of "pose" (3-20) and "Construction" (3-30).
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1966-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Crossovers; Dynamics; Fastenings; Locomotives; Noise; Passenger cars; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Railroad turnouts; Technology; Tie bars; Train track dynamics; Vehicle dynamics; Velocity; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Switches
- Geographic Terms: France; Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Question d72
- Subject Areas: Environment; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033733
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: D72/RP 2/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 28 1976 12:00AM