TECHNOLOGY FOR USING SULFATE WASTE IN ROAD CONSTRUCTION
Mixtures of fly ash, lime and sulfate waste were examined for their potential use in highway construction. Initially, pure calcium sulfate componds such as gypsum were used as the source of sulfate. In most cases, gypsum were found to increase the compressive strength of lime-fly ash-water mixtures. During this initial phase of the project, variables such as fly ash source, form of calcium sulfate, lime type, mixture consistency, curing temperature, admixtures and impurities expected in waste sulfates were examined. Also, studies of compound development in selected mixtures were performed. The second phase of the study was designed to obtain strength-compositional relationships for samples prepared with actual waste sulfates. These waste sulfates included neutralized acid mine drainage, titangypsum, hydroflouric acid by-product, gas scrubber waste and neutralized steel pickling liquor. Results of this phase were used for the selection of mixtures for engineering evaluation. These mixtures were examined for compressive and tensile strength, freeze/thaw resistance, wet/dry stability, California bearing ratio, permeability and leachability. Finally, the possibility of reparing aggregate from mixtures containing waste sulfate was examined. The aggregate, as well as portland cement concrete and asphaltic concrete prepared with it, was tested using standard techniques.
- Sponsored by DOT and FHWA.
Gillette Research Institute1413 Research Boulevard
Rockville, MD United States 20850
- SMITH, L M
- Kawam, A
- Whitcraft, M S
- Karew, H G
- McCormick, F
- Rude, L C
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 199 p.
- TRT Terms: Artificial aggregates; California bearing ratio; Fly ash; Freeze thaw tests; Permeability; Road construction; Strength of materials; Sulfates; Technology; Waste products
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00139737
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76- 31 Final Rpt., FCP 24C2-022
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8122
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 21 1976 12:00AM