TESTS ON THE TRACK ON THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF VEHICLES BY MEANS OF A SPECIAL VEHICLE-RESULTS OF THE FIRST TRACK TESTS
The report gives an account of the results of the tests made with the experimental bogie described in a previous report. The first part of the report supplies data relating to four series of tests during which the various parameters of the bogie (lateral play between axle-box and axle, axle load) and also the riding speed were successively varied. These tests have made it possible to establish conclusions relating to the wave-length of the hunting movement, the amplitude of the transverse movements of the bogie and the maximum transverse forces occurring between bogie and axles. The second part of the report supplies data relating to the tests during which the wheelbase of the test bogie was varied. The data obtained have permitted the establishment of some conclusions relating to the wave-length of the hunting movement, the transverse displacement of the bogie frame, the maximum angle of rotation of the bogie and the transverse forces. The third part of the report contains an account of the results obtained during the tests, the object of which was to study the same magntiudes as those prevailing during the previous tests, the wheel tyres of the test bogie having however been machined in accordance with the wear profile "Muller No. 2". All the tests were made on one and the same section, this being in an excellent state of repair and having a relatively constant gauge and chiefly consisting of straight track.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-6
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle load force; Axles; Defects; Gage (Rails); Hunting (Dynamics); Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Ride quality; Stability (Mechanics); Structural design; Suspensions; Tangent track; Technology; Tires; Trucks; Vehicle design; Vehicle dynamics; Velocity; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Track geometry
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Car design; Question b52; Running stability; Tire profile; Track gauge; Track irregularities; Wheel design
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033732
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: B52/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM