LATERAL SUPPORT SYSTEMS AND UNDERPINNING. VOLUME 3: CONSTRUCTION METHODS
This provides specific design recommendations, design considerations, and construction techniques for the construction of lateral support systems and underpinning. The design considerations are presented for each technique or method (solider piles, steel sheeting, diaphragm walls, internal bracing, tiebacks, underpinning, grouting, and freezing). The factors affecting the design or implementation of these schemes are discussed. Construction techniques are presented, and literature references are provided for those seeking even greater detail. An overview of the construction methods compares the applicability of the techniques and the construction costs of each. Other reports developed from the study are FHWA-RD-128, Volume I, Design and Construction; FHWA-RD-129, Volume II, Design Fundamentals; and FHWA-RD-131, Concepts for Improved Lateral Support Systems.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Also available in set of 3 reports as PB-257209-SET, also see Volume I, RRIS 00 141250 and Volume II RRIS 00 139701.
Goldberg-Zoino & Associates, Inc.30 Tower Road
Newton Upper Falls, MA United States 02164
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Goldberg, D T
- Jaworski, W E
- Gordon, M D
- Publication Date: 1976-4-1
- Pagination: 480 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Construction management; Costs; Cut and cover tunneling; Design; Diaphragm walls; Earth pressure; Freezing; Grouting; Lateral supports; Structural supports; Subways; Tiebacks; Tunneling
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Design criteria; Underpinning
- Old TRIS Terms: Subway construction; Tunnel excavation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Finance; Highways; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00139713
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75-130 Final Rpt., FCP 35B
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8499
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 6 1981 12:00AM