RAILROAD RELIABILITY AND CAR UTILIZATION: AN INTRODUCTION
The experimental program proposed in this report attacks two of the most pressing problems facing the railroad industry today. The increasing costs of purchasing and financing freight cars have become a significant obstacle to the renewed economic health of the industry. At the same time, railroads currently provide a service that suffers in comparison not only with motor carriers, but with the potential for rail service as well. The failure to fulfill this potential results in a misallocation of transportation resources that has been estimated to cost the American public billions of dollars annually. Now, for the first time, with the existence of the Freight Car Utilization Research/Demonstration Program, we have the proper forum and the necessary resources to deal with these problems. The F.R.A. urgently endorses any effort such as this in which the industry actively seeks free enterprise solutions to its own problems. This report proposes that a number of railroads attempt changes in their operations, facilities, or institutions in order to determine the resulting impacts on reliability, car utilization, and profitability. The concept of conducting experiments as a guide to future policy decisions is extremely important because it provides management with the facts necessary to formulate strategies for revamping rail systems. The F.R.A. therefore, urges each railroad to participate in this program.
- Prepared for AAR by the Industry Task Force on Reliability Studies and M.I.T.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCenter for Transportation Studies, Room 1121
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Car operations (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Line haul; Productivity; Profitability; Quality of service; Reliability; Scheduling; Utilization; Yard operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Car cycles; Operating strategies; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00139445
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. CTS 75-8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM