GREAT LAKES TRANSPORT OF WESTERN COAL: TECHNICAL AND ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
An investigation of the economics of transporting western coal to consumers in the midwestern and eastern demand regions with a particular emphasis on the Great Lakes waterborne link. The design characteristics of Great Lakes coal-carrying vessels are discussed in detail. Specific problems involved in the transport of coal in bulk are related to design decisions, particularly in the areas of cargo-handling gear, cubic requirements, ship maneuvering, cargo thawing, and dust control. The relative performance of taconite carriers, specially built colliers, and combination vessels in the coal trade is discussed, together with a consideration of potential problems facing coal carriers diverted to the taconite trade. The economic effects of systematic variations in ship characteristics, including dimensions, materials, proportions, and speed are considered. The impact of fuel price and of operation through the winter is also examined. A comparison of transport alternatives for various pairs of sources and destinations, based on total delivered cost and energy expenditure, including rail transport and transshipment, is made. Conclusions are offered regarding the future of Great Lakes operations in view of the emerging coal traffic.
- Also available from Engineering Societies Library.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborDepartment of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Elste, V H
- Scher, R M
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 149 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Bulk cargo handling; Bulk carriers; Coal; Coal industry; Competition; Dry bulk cargo; Dry bulk carriers; Economic analysis; Freight traffic; Operations; Transportation modes; Unit trains; Unloading facilities; Vehicle design
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk coal; Bulk handling; Economic analysis (Gt. lakes)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00139364
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-940-76061 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 6-38011
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1977 12:00AM