URBAN AND SUBURBAN RAILWAYS
This report describes and discusses the current situation and technical characteristics of different types of railways. The railway network is defined, and the importance of diagonal lines running through the city is pointed out. The standards for walking distances, travelling time, frequencies, interchange facilities and feeder lines are formulated. The planning is described of tramways, surface suburban railways and metro systems with particular attention to track arrangement and layout. Characteristic solutions are examined for network and curvature, and the details are described of the underground and surface parts of the lines. Stations with 3 and 4 tracks are discussed, as are double-tracked stations with 3 platforms. The suburban rapid transit operated by the state railways is discussed, and data for calculating the capacity of platforms, stairs, escalators and passages are compiled. Unconventional systems of urban transportation, namely, cars on pneumatic tire wheels, suspension systems, the Alweg type and cab taxies are also discussed. Examples from urban and suburban railways in a series of towns and conurbations are quoted.
Norwegian Institute of TechnologyN-7034 Trondheim, Norway
- Svennar, O
- Publication Date: 1975-3
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 127 p.
- TRT Terms: Curvature; Feeder services; Interchanges; Metropolitan areas; Monorail transportation; Networks; Pneumatic equipment; Public transit; Railroad stations; Railroad transportation; Rapid transit; Standards; Suburbs; Technology; Transportation planning; Travel time; Urban transportation; Walking
- Old TRIS Terms: Pneumatic systems; Suspended rail systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00139356
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 12
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1981 12:00AM