LOOKOUT ASSIST DEVICE--ENGINEERING EVALUATION
Prevention of ship collisions is the aim of the new Lookout Assist Device (LAD) developed by Sperry Rand Corporation under contract with the U.S. Maritime Administration. Using visual and audible warnings, LAD extends the capability of detection of other ships, large objects and navigational aids in both good and bad weather. The system automatically provides alarms when objects are detected in the guarded sectors and displays these alarms for rapid and easy recognition of sector and range. The Hearing LAD increases the probability of detecting an audible signal by one and a half times that of an unaided lookout as demonstrated in shipboard tests. The system is composed of a listening device (for audio) and low-power proximity warning radar (for visual) which may be easily installed on new or existing ships.
- Reports previously issued and available from the National Technical Information Service are: PB174093, PB174409, PB176229, PB174090, PB174092, PB183963.
Sperry Rand CorporationSperry Marine Systems Division
Charlottesville, VA USA
- Publication Date: 1970-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic detectors; Alarm systems; Collision avoidance systems; Navigational aids; Radar; Surveillance
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic detection systems; Lookouts
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00033680
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: PD1065-70 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-3374
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 28 1973 12:00AM