A SOILS DATA SYSTEM FOR KENTUCKY
This report discusses the development of a computerized soils data system which facilitates collection, centralized storage, and retrieval of soils data developed by engineers and scientists for projects in Kentucky. Without such a system, much soils data are essentially lost after each project is completed. This system will provide data that can conveniently be used for developing preliminary sources of information for site investigation, for preparing regional soil maps, for land use planning, and for studying new and existing empirical relationships involving soil properties and characteristics. Various types of data systems, the design of the system to include software and hardware, and the contributors and users of the system are discussed. The system is divided into collection, storage, and retrieval subsystems. The operation of each subsystem is discussed. A computerized system was selected as the most efficient. A file definition and coding system was developed and is included in the appendices of the report.
- Record URL:
Frankfort, KY United States 40601
- Spradling, D
- Publication Date: 1976-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Data storage; Information retrieval; Information systems; Land use planning; Programming (Planning); Properties of materials; Soil mapping; Soils
- Uncontrolled Terms: Site investigation; Soil properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Data systems; Soil maps
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00139182
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 441 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 4 1976 12:00AM