The first section provides a general description of magnetic compasses, both liquid and dry and their component parts. The second section outlines three reading assignments on (1) compass error, (2) causes of deviation and adjustment theory, and (3) how to find compass deviation. The reading assignments are in Bowditch and Dutton. The third section includes explanations of the principles of magnetism, terrestrial magnetism, causes of deviation in further detail, types of magnetic compass deviation and compass adjustment. The last part of this section provides practical tables and the step-by-step procedure to be followed in compass adjustment and determining deviation. The last section lists specific questions and answers for Master and Chief Mate followed by a set of Q&A applicable to any license.
- Prepared in cooperation with the Department of Marine Transportation, S.U.N.Y. Maritime College, Fort Schuyler, New York.
Seamen's Church Institute of New York15 State Street
New York, NY USA 10004
- Gallo, F X
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Compasses; Magnetic properties; Ship crews; Training
- Old TRIS Terms: Crew training (Deck); Licensed personnel training; Training courses (Magnetism)
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00138684
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Seamen's Church Institute of New York
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM