POINTERS ON BOILER OPERATION
The first of a new series of books designed to acquaint the unlicensed seaman with the fundamentals of marine engineering. The aim of this book is to help men with entry ratings learn enough to obtain their endorsements as Qualified Member - Engine Department (QMED). The books can also be used as refreshers by more experienced engine department personnel. The primary aim of the manual is to familiarize personnel with things to watch for in boiler operation. It provides, in plain English, the necessary steps in (1) Placing new boilers in service (2) Lighting a boiler (3) Raising steam (4) Cutting in a boiler (5) Combustion control (6) Feed water control (7) Boiler operation (8) Securing the boiler and (9) Cleaning and protection of idle boilers. Sections on auxiliary equipment and machinery are included.
- The books are being prepared by the District 2 MEBA Safety and Education Plan in conjunction with the Harry Lundeberg School of the Seafarers International Union.
AMO/MEBA District 2School of Marine Engineering & Nav, 672 4th Ave
Brooklyn, NY United States 11232
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Boilers; Cleaning; Combustion; Equipment maintenance; Generators; Ship crews; Training; Training programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Boiler cleaning; Boiler maintenance; Combustion control; Crew training (Engine); Training courses (Steam generators); Unlicensed personnel training
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00138620
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: AMO/MEBA District 2
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 21 1976 12:00AM