The manual is divided into five sections beginning with a review of the classification of inflammable and combustible liquids, general safety precautions including mooring lines, hose handling, water pollution prevention and cargo system line-up. The second section provides detailed step-by-step procedures in actually loading and topping off a tanker including the proper use of valves, their color coding, the taking of ullages and safety precautions particularly applicable to the loading operation. The third section deals with discharging cargo and explains the proper methods to gauge a tank, take ullages and a sample of the cargo. Proper pumping procedure is discussed including the stripping operation. The fourth and largest section (73 pages) is devoted to questions and answers for pumpmen including fire fighting and oil pollution control. The final section reviews diesel pump operation and includes pictures and very clear diagrams showing cut-aways of centrifugal pumps, impellers, seals and shafts.
HARRY G. ARMSTRONG AEROSPACE MEDICAL RESEARCH LABORATORYWRIGHT-PATTERSON A.F.B., OHIO:
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo handling; Loading and unloading; Marine safety; Oils; Ship crews; Tankers; Training; Training programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk oil handling; Crew training (Engine); Tanker discharging; Tanker loading; Tanker safety; Training courses (Pumpman); Unlicensed personnel training
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00138609
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: HARRY G. ARMSTRONG AEROSPACE MEDICAL RESEARCH LABORATORY
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM