DESCRIPTION AND EVALUATION OF A DIGITAL-COMPUTER PROGRAM FOR CALCULATING THE VISCOUS DRAG OF BODIES OF REVOLUTION
A digital-computer program has been written for calculating the viscous drag of streamlined bodies of revolution in constant-density axial flow. The integral approach adopted incorporates recently improved methods for predicting the transition point and for calculating the turbulent boundary layer. The inputs to the computer program are the body geometry, the associated inviscid pressure distribution, and the body-length Reynolds number. Agreement of calculated and measured drag coefficients is good, particularly in cases where the transition point is predicted accurately. (Author)
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD United States 20084
- Kerney, K P
- White, N M
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Bodies of revolution; Boundary layer; Pressure; Turbulence; Turbulent boundary layer; Viscous flow
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pressure distribution
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00138550
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DTSRDC-4641 R&D Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 4 1976 12:00AM