AN INVESTIGATION OF THE ABSOLUTE LIGHTER MOTIONS INVOLVED IN THE CONTAINER OFFLOADING AND TRANSFER SYSTEM (COTS) TRIALS
Ship motion and wave measurements were conducted for various lighters participating in Container Offloading and Transfer System (COT) trials off Coronado Island, San Diego. Their purpose was to evaluate the effects of waves and lighter motions on the offloading and loading procedures. Motions of a warping tug causeway system, an LCM 8 and an LCU 1652 were measured while they were alongside a bumper system connected to an elevated causeway. All lighter motions were seen to be very small due to low seas predominant at the time of the trials. (Author)
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterShip Performance Department
Bethesda, MD USA 20084
- Ruth, L C
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Barges; Loading and unloading; Ship motion
- Old TRIS Terms: Lighters; Seaway motions
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00138544
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SPD-515-02 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 4 1976 12:00AM