SAINT LAWRENCE SEAWAY SYSTEM PLAN FOR ALL-YEAR NAVIGATION. SUMMARY REPORT
This report describes a systems analysis of the problems and factors which adversely affect or halt navigation on the St. Lawrence River between Montreal, Quebec and Lake Ontario during the winter season. The objective of the study was to develop a plan which if implemented would provide cost-effective navigation of the system in the winter. This was accomplished by developing a mathematical simulation of the Seaway operation and using this model to identify in time and space the constraints to winter navigation. Once identified, alternative system plans were developed to remove these constraints and associated cost and performance data were estimated. This information was then used in conjunction with benefits data (provided to this study) to conduct a benefit-cost analysis of each alternate plan. The study is presented in five (5) volumes. Volume 1. SUMMARY REPORT - Contains the essential points of the study. It describes the approach taken and major results and provides recommendations for future action. It is intended to serve as an executive summary and therefore stands complete by itself.
- See also: Appendix A "Methodology", PB-251529/$, PC $10.75; Appendix B "Seaway Simulation," PB-251532/2, PC $7.75; Appendix C "Environmental Impact", PB-251531, PC $5.00; Appendix D "Economics", PB-251532, PC$9.25; Set of five reports available as PB-251527-SET, PC$32.00.
Arctec, IncorporatedWilde Lake Village Green, Suite 255
Columbia, MD United States 21044
- Lewis, J W
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Ice; Ice navigation; Thickness
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes; Saint Lawrence Seaway
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice operations; Ice thickness
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00138353
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-0105-7 Final Rpt., DOT/SLS-63-76/1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-SL-73-360
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 23 1976 12:00AM