THE CONTROL OF POLLUTION CAUSED BY HYDROGRAPHIC MODIFICATIONS
Information is presented related to the identification and evaluation of nonpoint sources of pollutants and processes, procedures and methods to control pollution resulting from changes in the movement, flow or circulation of any navigable waters or ground waters, including changes caused by the construction of dams, levees, channels or flow diversion facilities. This report focuses on aspects of channelization where actual in-channel modifications occur and the type of channel envisaged is the small steam which frequently floods either urban or rural areas causing significant damage. Drainage projects used to render low-lying lands usable for agriculture or construction of suburban developments are also covered. Design changes in the actual channel modification project that can be incorporated to mitigage undesirable by-products are discussed, and consideration is given to alternatives such as flood plain zoning regulations. The effects on water quality of both storage impoundments and run-of-the- river or main stream impoundments are described, and the principal difference betwwen lakes and impoundments is discussed. Procedures to mitigate pollution resulting from impoundment are reviewed. The effects of urbanization on ground water resource, and methods of controlling such pollution are discussed. Dredging and dredged material disposal, as well as the control of pollution arising from such opertions are also discussed.
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Noise Abatement and Control
Washington, DC United States 20460
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 188 p.
- TRT Terms: Contaminants; Dams; Drainage; Dredging; Environmental control; Environmental engineering; Flood plains; Floods; Groundwater; Hydrographs; Levees; Leveling; Pollution; Urbanization; Water quality; Zoning
- Old TRIS Terms: Channels; Hydrograph method
- Subject Areas: Construction; Environment; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00138292
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 3 1976 12:00AM