THE INTERACTION BETWEEN A VERTICAL CYLINDER AND REGULAR WAVES
The huge amount of offshore activities in recent years has increased the need of reliable data concerning the wave loading on vertical cylinders. A review is given of different methods, according to which the wave forces on a vertical circular cylinder can be calculated. Numerical results of these methods are compared with the results of model experiments. The wave diffraction around a cylindrical object was calculated with the potential theory and is compared with measurements of the wave amplitude.
- Symposium on "Offshore Hydrodynamics" at Wageningen, The Netherlands, August 25-26, 1971.
Netherlands Ship Model BasinWageningen, Netherlands
- van Oortmerssen, G
- Publication Date: 1971-8
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Cylindrical bodies; Force; Loads; Offshore structures; Waves
- Old TRIS Terms: Wave forces on structures; Wave induced loads
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033617
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Netherlands Ship Model Basin
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSMB-375
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 28 1972 12:00AM