FUELS AND MATERIALS RESOURCES FOR AUTOMOBILES IN THE 1980-1990 DECADE
The study which developed around projections of probable or possible technological advancement that would impact demand, found that domestic crude production will be inadequate to meet expected transportation and other energy needs, world crude resources are sufficient to meet projected demand through 2000, and that automobile fuel to the year 2000 will be primarily conventional hydrocarbon liquids. Gasoline or distillate fuels will be available as required at pump prices projected post 1980 to range between about $0.60 and $0.70 per gallon for all cases except those involving low demand and low import prices. Motor fuel manufacturing costs and distillate fuel prices are discussed. The impact of change from traditional fuel usage (automotive fuel combining gasoline and distillate fuels, and diesel fuel usage) and the impact of environmental requirements are considered. With respect to materials, it was found that most currently used materials will be available in adequate supply and at reasonable prices. The materials that could experience the greatest change in nonengine vehicle components are aluminum, plastics and high-strength low-alloy (HSLA) steels. It is also foreseen that some engine configurations will require more stainless steel and the significant introduction of super alloys in the automobile.
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 159 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Demand; Distillates; Energy; Environmental engineering; Forecasting; Fuels; Gasoline; Hydrocarbons; Materials by source; Motor vehicles; Natural resources; Planning; Policy; Prices; Technology
- Uncontrolled Terms: Material sources
- Old TRIS Terms: Future policies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00138132
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM