TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT OF FUTURE INTERCITY PASSENGER TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS. VOLUME 1: SUMMARY REPORT
The technical, economic, environmental and sociopolitical issues associated with future intercity transportation options were assessed in a study which is reported in 7 volumes. This study placed emphasis on domestic passenger transportation but also considered interfaces with freight and international transportation. The initial phase of the study identified issues affecting the future of intercity transportation technologies (Vol. 2). The second phase focused on the future performance characteristics of present intercity modes (air; rail; high-speed ground, levitated; and highway transportation), and possible new technological forms of transportation (Vol. 3). The assessment of intercity transportation systems options was carried out within the framework of scenarios developed to describe 4 different states of society in the year 2000 (Vol. 4). A workshop was held to identify and assess impacts related to future transportation alternatives (Vol. 5). Study efforts then focussed on the continued assessment of impacts related to possible future intercity transportation innovations (Vol. 6) and on the development of recommendations (Vol. 7).
- See also Volumes 2 through 7, N76-24076-N76-24081, RRIS 23 142232-142237 respectively; Bulletin 7802.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Competition; Economics; Environmental impacts; Freight transportation; High speed ground transportation; Highway transportation; Impact studies; Intelligent transportation systems; Intercity transportation; Intercity travel; Magnetic levitation vehicles; Passenger transportation; Passengers; Performance; Policy; Policy making; Politics; Railroad transportation; Recommendations; Social factors; Socioeconomic factors; Technological forecasting; Technology; Transportation modes
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Future policies; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Environment; Freight Transportation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Policy; Railroads; Research; Society;
- Accession Number: 00138130
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: NAS2-8730
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 17 1978 12:00AM