NATIONAL, INDUSTRIAL AND CONSUMER ECONOMICS
The methodology has been explored for evaluating the economic impacts of potential goals for the automobiles in the 1980's and it is concluded that although a method does not exist for conducting a rigorous cost-benefit analysis, it is possible to provide insight into costs and benefits by the estimation of impacts in their natural units. Valid comparisons may be made within any area and the choices at the political level may be more sharply defined. The study also concludes that a variety of opportunities exist for significantly improved fuel economy in the nation's auto fleet, and that technological opportunities exist to meet stringent emission standards at or beyond the level of current statutory standards of 0.41/3.4/0.4 with good fuel economy. Advanced automobile construction techniques offer a possibility of improved crashworthiness and weight lower than present models but with a penalty in cost and fuel economy. Failure to meet ambitious goals or the effects of adverse market conditions on an overextended industry may create a major risk to the national economy. The observation is also made that the total energy saved by technological improvement to automobile fuel economy will depend in part on consumer reaction.
- Report of a panel of the Interagency Task Force on Motor Vehicle Goals Beyond 1980.
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 194 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Automobiles; Benefit cost analysis; Consumers; Economic impacts; Forecasting; Fuel consumption; Industries; Motor vehicles; Planning; Policy; Prevention; Safety; Standards; Technology; Vehicles; Weight
- Old TRIS Terms: Future policies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00138129
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM