AN EVALUATION OF SEVERAL MULCH MATERIALS ON LANDSCAPE PLANT GROWTH, WEED CONTROL, SOIL TEMPERATURE AND SOIL MOISTURE
The effectiveness of various materials as mulches for landscape sites was evaluated. Factors considered were weed control, effect on growth of landscape plants, and soil environment modification. The latter included measurements of soil temperatures and soil moistures. Mulches investigated were Douglas fir bark chips (2 inches dia), shredded hard wood bark, shredded scrap from rubber tires, and stone approximately 1.5 inches in diameter. Best weed control over a 2 year period was obtained with the Douglas fir bark chips with 2 inches mulch of shredded rubber tires being nearly as good. The best plant growth was obtained when the plants were mulched. Cotoneaster grew better when mulched with Douglas fir bark than any other mulch treatment except 2 inches of shredded rubber tires. This is probably due to a reduction in weed competition. The effect on growth of junipers was less pronounced.
- Prepared in cooperation with Indiana State Highway Commission, Indianapolis and Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C. Report on Development of Techniques for Plant Establishment on the Roadside.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907-1284
Washington, DC United States 20590
Indiana State Highway CommissionIndianapolis, IN United States 46204
- Carpenter, P L
- Publication Date: 1975-7-30
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Evaluation; Highways; Landscape design; Landscaping; Measures of effectiveness; Mulches; Plant growth; Plants; Soil water; Soils; Temperature; Tires; Weed control
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Old TRIS Terms: Soil temperature
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00137412
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-75-14 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1977 12:00AM