ANALYSIS OF MAJOR SHORT-HAUL TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS
The report examines five major problems in short-haul transportation: break-even analysis, noise, energy, air pollution, and safety. The break-even analysis is applied to both new and existing ground and air systems including TACV, improved rail, autotrain, bus, CTOL, VTOL, and STOL. The noise analysis includes a survey of existing transportation noise impacts, as well as a noise mapping analysis of proposed passenger systems. The noise chapter identifies R&D opportunities and makes recommendations on governmental noise policy. The energy chapter examines energy resources, consumption, and transportation energy efficiencies, and identifies R&D opportunities with particular emphasis on transportation-related opportunities. The air pollution chapter compares current and forecast future emission levels for three modes: TACV, automobile, and CTOL. Transportation safety is examined historically in terms of highway, rail, and aviation safety, and R&D opportunities are identified.
PRC Systems Sciences Company7600 Old Springhouse Road
McLean, VA United States 22101
Department of TransportationOffice of Research and Development, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Rogstad, B
- Berterman, J
- DOBSON, A
- Grainger, G
- O'LEARY, K
- Publication Date: 1971-11
- Pagination: 211 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Air transportation; Aviation safety; Bus transit; Bus transportation; Competition; Development; Economic analysis; Energy conservation; Energy consumption; High speed ground transportation; High speed rail; Highway safety; Intelligent transportation systems; Intercity travel; Multimodal transportation; Noise; Noise control; Policy making; Railroad transportation; Research; Research management; Safety; Short haul; STOL aircraft; Technological forecasting; Tracked air cushion vehicles; Traffic safety; Transportation; Transportation modes; VTOL aircraft
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction; Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Bus services; Energy intensiveness; Short takeoff aircraft
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Energy; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00137406
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TST-76-76 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-10197
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1977 12:00AM