LIMITING STRAIN AS A FAILURE CRITERION FOR BITUMINOUS MIXTURES
Experiments were conducted to measure strain at failure (limiting strain) for bituminous concretes. A secondary study was included to evaluate the possibilities of using acoustic emission techniques to detect and monitor cracking in portland cement and bituminous concretes. Parameters for the limiting strain experiment included asphalt type, aggregate gradation, temperature, and strain rate analysis of variance was used to evaluate the effect of each of the parameters and regression equations are presented that relate significant independent variables to limiting strain. The most significant parameter affecting limiting strain is temperature; strain rate and gradation do show some effects, but these are minor when compared to temperature. There was no measurable effect, in this experiment, due to asphalt type within a range which included a high and low viscosity material in each of three penetration grades (60-70, 85-100, 120-150). Acoustic emission experiments showed that this technique is effective for detecting micro-cracking long before visual observation indicates the occurrence.
- Prepared in cooperation with Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C. and Indiana State Highway Commission, Indianapolis. Report on Cracking in Bituminous Mixtures.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907-1284
Washington, DC USA 20590
Indiana State Highway CommissionIndianapolis, IN USA 46204
- PAVLOVICH, R D
- Publication Date: 1975-6-4
- Pagination: 365 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustics; Asphalt concrete; Bituminous mixtures; Concrete; Cracking; Flexible pavements; Fracture mechanics; Highways; Loads; Portland cement concrete; Stiffness; Strain (Mechanics); Theses
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete cracking; Strain rate
- Old TRIS Terms: Stiffness methods; Strains
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00137361
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-12-75 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1977 12:00AM