EFFECT OF ENERGY SHORTAGE AND LAND USE ON AUTOMOBILE OCCUPANCY RATE
The problem of congested freeways and the low levels of service during the rush hour period is one of the prime concerns in urban transportation. In recent years considerable attention has been directed toward increasing the occupancy rate of automobiles on the freeway system in an effort to reduce the freeway congestion. This report attempts to investigate the characteristics of the automobile occupancy rates in the Milwaukee metropolitan area by analyzing data for a four year period to determine the effects of gasoline shortage, land use characteristics, and peak-hour periods on occupancy rates. The fluctuation in the occupancy rates was statistically examined by segregating the land use characteristics of the area into two classifications of low and high intensity areas. Furthermore, the statistical analyses were extended to examine the effects of price increases and unavailability of gasoline on the occupancy rates during the conduct of the study.
Marquette UniversityUrban Transportation Program
Milwaukee, WI USA 53233
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Madison, WI USA 53707-7910
- Beglinger, R E
- Behnam, J
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Classification; Correlation analysis; Daily; Distributions (Statistics); Energy resources; Freeways; Fuels; Gasoline; Impacts; Land use; Metropolitan areas; Peak hour traffic; Peak periods; Shortages; Statistical analysis; Supply; Traffic congestion; Traffic surveys; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Utilization; Vehicle occupancy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fuel shortages
- Geographic Terms: Wisconsin
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy shortages; Fuel shortage; Rates pertime
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Energy; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00137359
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-WI-11-0002-75-1Res. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: WI-11-0002
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1977 12:00AM