AN ASSESSMENT OF THE CRASHWORTHINESS OF EXISTING URBAN RAIL VEHICLES. VOLUME III: TRAIN-COLLISION MODEL, USERS MANUAL
The crashworthiness of existing urban rail vehicles (passenger cars) and the feasibility of improvements in this area were investigated. Both rail-car structural configurations and impact absorption devices were studied. This final report issued under the crashworthiness effort covers: (1) The development of analytical tools to predict passenger threat - environment during collision; (2) criteria for predicting passenger injury due to train collisions; (3) an application of injury criteria and analytic models to predict passenger injuries resulting from collisions of trains that represent existing construction types; (4) a preliminary investigation of applying impact absorption devices to transit vehicles; (5) a design study of car structural configurations for improved impact energy management; (6) a review of engineering standards for Urban Rail Car Crashworthiness. The report consists of three volumes.
- See also PB-249143.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Segal, D J
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Design; Energy absorption; Forecasting; Impact tests; Injuries; Mathematical models; Passenger cars; Passengers; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Research; Safety; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Standards; Structural analysis; Structural engineering; Transportation safety; Urban transportation; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Passenger safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Impact vulnerability; Passenger car design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Design; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00137318
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-7521IIIFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-681
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1981 12:00AM