AN ASSESSMENT OF THE CRASHWORTHINESS OF EXISTING URBAN RAIL VEHICLES. VOLUME III: TRAIN-COLLISION MODEL, USERS MANUAL
The crashworthiness of existing urban rail vehicles (passenger cars) and the feasibility of improvements in this area were investigated. Both rail-car structural configurations and impact absorption devices were studied. This final report issued under the crashworthiness effort covers: (1) The development of analytical tools to predict passenger threat - environment during collision; (2) criteria for predicting passenger injury due to train collisions; (3) an application of injury criteria and analytic models to predict passenger injuries resulting from collisions of trains that represent existing construction types; (4) a preliminary investigation of applying impact absorption devices to transit vehicles; (5) a design study of car structural configurations for improved impact energy management; (6) a review of engineering standards for Urban Rail Car Crashworthiness. The report consists of three volumes.
- See also PB-249143.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY USA 14225
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Segal, D J
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Design; Energy absorption; Forecasting; Impact tests; Injuries; Mathematical models; Passenger cars; Passengers; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Research; Safety; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Standards; Structural analysis; Structural engineering; Transportation safety; Urban transportation; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Passenger safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Impact vulnerability; Passenger car design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Design; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00137318
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-7521IIIFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-681
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1981 12:00AM