ADVANCED DIAL-A-RIDE ALGORITHMS RESEARCH PROJECT
The work builds upon the algorithms and the computer control procedures developed under the CARS Project between 1967 and 1971, and upon the findings of the Haddonfield, New Jersey, dial-a-ride demonstration project which ran from February, 1972 to October, 1974. The purpose of the Advanced Dial-A-Ride Algorithms Research (ADAR) Project was to develop advanced dial-a-ride control procedures based on the experience gained in Haddonfield, and to investigate the problem of controlling integrated dial-a-ride/fixed route services. Another demonstration project in Rochester, New York, began in April, 1975, which also provided significant input to the ADAR Project research. This document is structured so as to be readable by nontechnical persons not familiar with dial-a-ride algorithms research, as well as by more technical transportation planners. The first chapters contain background material --- what a control algorithm does, who it serves, and various general elements of algorithms planning. Later chapters describe the new work performed under the ADAR Project, and lessons learned from the demonstrations.
- See also report dated Jul 75, PB-244 496.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Wilson, NHM
- Weissberg, R W
- Hauser, J
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Computer programming; Constraints; Control; Control systems; Demonstration projects; Fixed routes; Level of service; Mathematical models; Optimization; Paratransit services; Planning; Research; Routes; Scheduling; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: New Jersey; New York (State)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00137053
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: R76-20 Final RPt., UMTA-MA-11-0024-76-1
- Contract Numbers: UMTA-MA-11-0024
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 23 1981 12:00AM