DOUBLE TRACK POROSITY TESTING
The Subway Environmental Research Project (SERP) was undertaken in order to provide the subway design engineer with a basic understanding of the effects of various design parameters on subway aerodynamics and thermodynamics (and hence on the subway environment). Such understanding permits subway design with an eye toward efficient environmental control. In Phase II of the SERP, a test matrix designed to study the effects of center wall porosity (in a dual-track tunnel) on train drag and far-field air velocity was performed in the DSI SAT-DT facility. Additional testing in the SAT-DT facility was proposed (and conducted) in an attempt to discover the center wall porosity at which system performance nears that of a single tunnel (i.e., solid center wall). The purpose of this report is to describe the results of this additional testing, and to relate these results to those obtained during the original program.
Transit Development Corporation, Incorporated1730 M Street, NW, Suite 911
Washington, DC USA 20036
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Research, Development and Demonstration
Washington, DC USA 20590
Developmental Sciences, IncorporatedAerospace Technology Division
City of Industry, CA USA
Associated Engineers/A Joint VentureNew York, NY USA
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Air; Design; Design standards; Double track; Drag; Environmental engineering; Environmental quality; Flow; Fluid dynamics; Porosity; Pressure gages; Rail transit facilities; Railroad trains; Resistance (Mechanics); Structural design; Subways; Test facilities; Tests; Thermodynamics; Tunnels; Walls
- Uncontrolled Terms: Air flow; Design criteria; Fluid flow; Tunnel design
- Old TRIS Terms: Pressure sensors; Subway environment; Train resistance
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Environment; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00136981
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-DC-06-0010-75-4Tech. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-290
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 11 2003 12:00AM